One of the common and recurring problems that our clients have is when their Joomla website shows a 404 Error on the homepage (and it says something like Article #n not found).
There are many causes for this error, including SEF installation/compatibility issues. However, the most common cause of this error is when the client deletes the Joomla article that is set to be displayed on the homepage by the main menu.
Here’s a scenario of how the problem can happen:
- Article #109 (it can be another article number, we’re just giving an example) is set to be displayed on the homepage in the “Home” Menu Item
- The article is either accidentally or purposely deleted.
- The Joomla engine is confused: it doesn’t know which article to show on the homepage.
- A 404 Error is displayed on the homepage .
Here’s how to fix this problem:
- Login to your Joomla control panel.
- Click on Menus (on the top) and then click on Main Menu.
- Click on “Home” (should be the first entry in the Menu Item list. (You will notice that the URL next to Link no longer exists)
- Choose an article that currently exists by clicking on the Select button next to Select Article under Parameters (Basic)
- Click on Save on the top right.
- Problem is solved.
As we have stated earlier, there might be other reasons for this problem, but this is the most common one. Now if doing the above did not solve your problem, then feel free to contact us, we’re very friendly and we’re eager to help you. Oh, and our fees are extremely reasonable!