Not a week goes by without us receiving at least 3 requests to move a Joomla website from one server to the other (or from one hosting account to another). Generally, the process is straightforward, and can be done in 3 methods:
This method is the easiest one and the most straightforward, and only requires FTP and phpMyAdmin access to your old server and your new server.
- Step 1 – Grab the data from your old server
Connect to your website through FTP
- Download your whole website’s directory (Note: this may take hours)
- Go to phpMyAdmin
- Click on the “Export” tab above
- Download your database – preferably in zip mode
Step 2 – Upload the data to your new server
- Connect to your new website through FTP
- Upload your website files under a folder called
- Go to the phpMyAdmin of your new hosting
- Click on the “Import” tab above
- Upload your database file that was generated in step “e” above
This method only works if you have cPanel installed on both the old and the new server. We are assuming that you have only one website in your account.
- Step 1 – Download your website and database from your old server
Go to your cPanel account on the old server
- Click on “Backups” (in the middle – center of the page)
- Click on “Home Directory” to download it
- Click on the database name of your website to download it (under Databases)
Step 2 – Upload your website and database to your new server
- Go to your cPanel account on the new server
- Click on “Backups”
- Upload your home directory file downloaded in step “c” above (under “Restore a Home Directory Backup”)
- Upload your database file downloaded in step “d” above (under “Restore a MySQL Database”)
In this method, we will show you how to use Akeeba Backup (formerly JoomlaPack) to download your website, and then upload it through FTP:
Step 1 – Download your website and data using Akeeba Backup
- First download Akeeba Backup from here
- Install the Akeeba Backup in your current Joomla website. By going to “Extension”, “Install/Uninstall”, and then selecting the Akeeba Backup file in the “Package File” field, and then clicking on “Upload File & Install”.
- After the installation is complete, go to “Components” and then go to “Akeeba Backup”, and then backup your website and download it.
Step 2 – Upload your website and data to your new server using FTP
- Extract the backup file you have downloaded in the previous step.
- Connect by FTP to your new hosting account (or new server).
- Do the same steps in Method 1 – Step 2 above. Note that the database file is located in your backup file under “installation/sql” and is called “Joomla.sql”
Now that you have physically moved your website, you need to point your domain’s name servers with your domain registrar (such as GoDaddy) to your new server. When you are done doing so, you need to go to your new cPanel and add your website’s domain under “Addon Domains”. Note: Leave the document root as is.
If you need help in doing any of the above, just contact us; we’ll be very eager to help you!