At itoctopus, we have started using Joomla since its inception, and we are familiar with every single version of Joomla. We are always excited to know when will the next Joomla version be released, and that’s why we’re writing this post…
As stated earlier, we have been using Joomla for a long time, however, we were never able to guess when will a (completely) new version of Joomla be released. There is no pattern whatsoever, let us explain:
- Joomla 1.0 was released back in September of 2005.
- Almost 2 years and six months later, Joomla 1.5 was released (in January of 2008).
- 3 years later, Joomla 1.6 was released (in January of 2011).
- 6 months after the release of Joomla 1.6, Joomla 1.7 was released (in July of 2011).
- According to the Joomla official website, there will be no Joomla 1.8, but instead there will be Joomla 2.5, which will be released in January of 2012 (6 months after releasing the 1.7 version).
It’s easy to see from the above why it’s really hard to predict when will the next version of Joomla be released. There is an interesting thing that we have to mention as well, is that Joomla 1.5 will be officially maintained until April of 2012, while support will cease (or have ceased) on August of 2011 and on February of 2012 for Joomla 1.6 and 1.7 (which are later releases), respectively. We believe that the explanation to this is that Joomla 1.5 is used by so many websites, while this is not the case for Joomla 1.6 or 1.7.
So, again, if you’re looking forward to Joomla 1.8, don’t hold your breath, as there won’t be any. There will be only Joomla 2.5, and that’s in less than a couple of months.